Sunday, September 30, 2007

Resumes

The first article I read was entitled "Just one Job? Three Tips For Creating a Broad Resume" by Dana Mattioli. I enjoyed this article because I have had only one real job, and this gave me some great ideas on how to spice up my resume. The first suggestion is to write a short introduction following my name and contact information that includes functional strengths, transferable skills, and personal attributes. Below this introduction, it says to list employer information followed by subheadings. The subheadings should reflect different skills and show progression where possible. Thirdly, it advises to create a section for highlighting relevant experience acquired in internships, volunteer work, professional organizations, etc. I believe all three of these tips are easy to include, and will be very beneficial. These are simple ideas that a person may not realize would greatly strengthen their resume.

The second article I read was "Eagle-Eyed Employers Scour Resumes for Little White Lies" by Cheryl Soltis. I found this article very interesting! It tells what the most popular white lies are resumes that companies watch for. One popular white lie is when a person lies about employment dates to cover up periods of unemployment. Another common lie is when someone says they have a degree but never finished the requirments. This article recommends for people to say how many credits they have towards a degree. Deidra Adams, principal human-resources consultant for Constellation Energy Group Inc. states that when most companies discover an exaggeration, they do not pursue the candidate. I found these facts interesting. This article reinforces the concept that people should not lie on their resumes because many companies do check. A small white lie could do more harm than good!

No comments: