Sunday, October 7, 2007

Traveling

I love to travel, so I am going to talk about some parts of a trip I took during the summer of 2001. I took a three week trip to Europe with the People to People Student Ambassador Program. I traveled to France, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, and Italy. The most memorable part of my trip was my homestay in Austria. I stayed with a family for 5 days. The family consisted of a mother, father, and 3 daughters. The oldest daughter was my age, 14, and her name was Elka. The other two were just a few years younger. The family spoke German and was not very fluent in English. Elka was learning English in school so we could communicate a fair amount, but she had a small computerized translator for her family and the words she did not know how to translate. One day I was able to go to school with her and see the kinds of things they were learning and the teaching techniques of the teachers. On the day I went, she had a math class, English class, sewing class, and soccer practice. One night I went to see a school play with her. The other days I was there she did not have school. One of those days we went to the mall, and the other we spent with her friends. I really enjoyed my stay with this family, I was sad to leave. After I returned home I wrote a letter to Elka using the address she gave me, but never received one in return so I have not been able to keep in touch. I was scared at first to stay with a family all by myself, but this experience was very enjoyable and what I remember the most about the trip.

My favorite country out of them all was Italy. If I ever get the opportunity to travel to Europe again, I will definitely return to Italy. My two favorite cities were Venice and Rome. They were both very beautiful and the food was great! I did alot of shopping, got to ride in a gondola, and see many great sites. We also got to see many famous attractions in the other countries that I enjoyed. I was really excited to travel to France because I had always wanted to see the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, and the Louvre. I had heard about these places in school, and saw them alot on television. To actually get to see them was awesome! I would highly recommend this program to other students because I really learned alot and had a wonderful time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved Italy too, even though I was a French teacher. I didn't get to go to Venice, but I totally fell in love with Florence. It's possible that I could do a trip to Capri in May, but it'd be awfully close to my daughter's graduation, so I'm not sure if I'll chance it.

Loved hearing about your memories of your trip!